Drew Pomeranz is NOT an answer the O's should even consider (Red Sox)

JohnD

No question the Orioles need pitching and one name you keep hearing about is Drew Pomeranz, who really is having an outstanding year. But in an iffy year of available pitching, he's not a guy you sell the rest of the farm for. Maybe for a longterm investment, but not because he's going to help your playoff push.

At 27 years old Pomeranz has tossed 95 MLB innings this year, which in most cases is no big deal. But it's also already more than he's thrown in any season of his career, save for when he was 23 and threw 96 2/3 innings.

Last year he threw 86 MLB innings. The year before he threw 69 MLB and another 45 or so minor league innings. You have to be leery about how much is left in the tank for this year. If he's at 95 innings now, at the halfway point, how many more does he have left this season? You have to be a blind optimist, or maybe his dad, to have any confidence that he'll be going strong in Late August or September, much less October, if you get that far.

Or you have to be willing to give him a long, long break if you don't want to jeopardize everything.

Truthfully I think his future might be bright, but he's setting some team up for a major let down late in the year when they'll be counting on him to get them into the playoffs. The Orioles need to pass unless the Padres somehow are willing to take next to nothing for him, and I don't think that's the case.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great point about his most likely innings limit. Saying that, with two more years of team control, I'd certainly be willing to give up some talent for him. Maybe the team can nurse him into 165 innings this year and then they get two more years of a solid, fairly young left-handed starter. It would be interesting to see what the Padres would want for him.

Honestly, there are few prospects in the system right now I wouldn't move, but the problem is, I'm not sure we have enough upside players that would interested SD. Mancini would be our most valuable offensive prospect at this point and with Upton and Kemp in the corners, there is no place for Wil Myers to move to off first base. I imagine they would want Bundy or Hunter, but at this point, I think the O's have to hold what they got with those two. Other then them, I'd probably be fine with the Padres picking two players in the minors for him.

Great point about his most likely innings limit. Saying that, with two more years of team control, I'd certainly be willing to give up some talent for him. Maybe the team can nurse him into 165 innings this year and then they get two more years of a solid, fairly young left-handed starter. It would be interesting to see what the Padres would want for him.

Honestly, there are few prospects in the system right now I wouldn't move, but the problem is, I'm not sure we have enough upside players that would interested SD. Mancini would be our most valuable offensive prospect at this point and with Upton and Kemp in the corners, there is no place for Wil Myers to move to off first base. I imagine they would want Bundy or Hunter, but at this point, I think the O's have to hold what they got with those two. Other then them, I'd probably be fine with the Padres picking two players in the minors for him.

I doubt the Orioles can make a significant trade without Harvey or Bundy being moved.

They'd also be buying extraordinarily high right now on Pomeranz. He's on fire.

If we did some real outside the box type thinking with Pomeranz that kept him capable of pitching thru the playoffs I could be convinced. Thats just not something we see the Orioles do though. Maybe a piggyback with Bundy for a stretch. Just doesn't seem like what the Os would do.

And Mancini, Harvey, and Bundy aren't part of this deal. They aren't untouchable, but they are for Pomeranz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we did some real outside the box type thinking with Pomeranz that kept him capable of pitching thru the playoffs I could be convinced. Thats just not something we see the Orioles do though. Maybe a piggyback with Bundy for a stretch. Just doesn't seem like what the Os would do.

And Mancini, Harvey, and Bundy aren't part of this deal. They aren't untouchable, but they are for Pomeranz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd move Mancini for Pomeranz every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I'd send them his handicap (Walker) for good measure.

I don't want to see the O's trade those two.

I'd be fine with the O's moving Walker and/or Mancini if what they got back was potential longterm value, like Pomeranz... as others have noted, we don't really have a spot for either.

My main reservation with Pomeranz is that, while I think he's good, I don't think he's THIS good, and it'll let the Padres really get a steal for him.

Archived